Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nettru illatha mattram...

Nettru illatha mattram ennathu?
Kattru en kaathil etho sonnathu

What is the change that wasn't there yesterday?
The breeze whispered something in my ears

Ithu thaan kathal enbadha?
Ilamai pongi vittatha?
Idhayam sindhi vittatha?
Sol maname...

Is this what is called love?
Has my youth got out of bounds?
Have I spilled my heart?
Tell me O heart...

Nettru illatha...

Kadavul illai endren thaayai kaanum varai
Kanavu illai endren asai thondrum varai
Kathal poi endru sonnen unnai kaanum varai

I didn't believe in God, until I saw mother
I didn't believe in dreams, until I had desires
I claimed love to be a falsity, until I met you

Kavithaivariyin suvai artham puriyum varai
Ganagai neerin suvai kadalil serum varai
Kathal suvai ondru thaane kaatru veesum varai

A line of poetry holds its charm till its meaning is known
The water from the Ganges has its taste until it merges in the sea
It is only the taste of love that exists as long as the wind blows

Nettru illatha...

Vaanam illamale bhoomi undagalam
Vartthai illamale bhashai undagalam
Kathal illamal ponal vazhkkai undaakuma?

The sky could have been formed without the Earth
Languages could have been formed without words
Could there be life without love?

Vaasam illamale vanna poo pookkalam
Vaasal illamale kaatru vanthadalam
Nesam illatha vaazhvil pasam undakuma?

Colourful flowers can bloom without fragrance
The wind can come and dance even if there are no doors
Could there be affection in a loveless life?

Nettru illatha...

No comments:

Post a Comment