Friday, April 20, 2012

Ennu varum nee..

A beautiful Malayalam song from the movie Kannaki...

Ennu varum nee? Ennu varum nee?
Ente nila panthalil, veruthe
Ente kina panthalil...

When will you come? When will you come?
Into my moonlit tent, simply
Into my tent of dreams...

Veruthe kaanan
Veruthe irikkan
Veruthe veruthe chirikkan
Thammil veruthe veruthe mindaan...

Just to see you
Just to sit with you
Just to smile with you
Just to speak to you...

Nee illenkil, nee varillenkil
Enthinen karalil sneham?
Veruthe enthinen nenjil moham?

If you are not there, if you wont come
Then why would I need love in my soul?
Why would I have desires in my heart?

Manamaai nee en manassil illathe
Enthinu poovin chantham?
Veruthe enthinu raavin chantham?

If you wouldn't be the smell of my mind
Then why do flowers have to be pretty?
Why do nights have to be beautiful?

Ennu varum...

Ormayilinnum omanippoo njan
Thammil kanda nimisham
Nammal, adhyam kanda nimisham...

I still cherish
The moment of meeting -
The moment we met for the first time...

Oro vaakkilum
Oro nokkilum
Ardham thoniya nimisham
Ayiram ardham thoniya nimisham...

Every word
Every look
Held meaning in that moment -
The moment that held thousand meanings...

Ennu varum...

9 comments:

  1. Can u teach me Malayalam :)
    my email is brunoldlopez at gmail dot com if you want to help!

    Thank you,
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Nortth Indian; but enjoy Malayalam songs. Translations like this helps people like me to overcome the language barrier. Your translations does full justice to the beauty of the original song. Well done and waiting for more from you. Many thanks.
    Surajit Mishra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for the translation...love this song!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the translation.. Love this song!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the translation.. Love this song!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This translation is priceless for a Bengali brought up in Delhi who is hopelessly in love with this song. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete